header image 2

Oven error code “F2” and how to fix it

March 26th, 2007 · 15 Comments

The error code “F2” will be displayed along with a beeping sound if the ERC (Electronic Range Control) or “clock” senses a runaway heat condition during the “cook” or the “clean” modes. It could be caused by the oven temperature sensor, by the ERC or by the wire harness between the oven temperature sensor and the ERC. If the error code “F2” is displayed in the “cook” or “clean” modes only, then the problem is a bad oven temperature sensor or its wire harness. If the error code “F2” is displayed in the time of the day mode also, then most likely a problem is the bad ERC. The access to the oven temperature sensor plug and the wires is from the back only. You have to pull the oven out of the wall (if it’s free standing) or remove it from the cabinet (if it’s built in). Disconnect the power and remove the rear cover. Check the resistance across the oven temperature sensor. It is supposed to be about 1100 Ohms at room temperature. If the resistance is incorrect, the oven temperature sensor is bad and needs to be replaced. If not, check all the wires from the oven temperature sensor to the ERC. If it is not the sensor and wires, you have to replace the ERC.
To get the right replacement part just click on the link AppliancePartsPros, then type the model number of your oven in the search box, click on the “search” button and in the new window type the word ”sensor” or the word “clock” in the “search by keyword” box and click the “search” button.

Tags: Oven error codes

15 responses so far ↓

• Karyn // Oct 5, 2009 at 1:06 am

Thank you so much.

• Paul // Nov 27, 2014 at 12:21 pm

On my ge double oven it was a simple fix. the temperature sensor is made at a slight angle. the one in my top oven was mounted to point slightly down.this oven works. the one in my bottom oven was put in angling slightly upward and close to the heating coils which was cause it to over heat and trip the code. I simply turned it over and oven now works fine.

• Kirsten Flumerfelt // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Can I still bake in the oven with this error flashing? I was in the middle of baking a cake!

• Gene // Jun 3, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Hello Kirsten.

I do not think you can do it because the oven functions should be disabled. The cause of the problem should diagnosed and fixed. The complete model number of the oven can help.

• Tasha // Aug 2, 2015 at 8:13 pm

GE wall oven F2 error

Any advice. We kept getting an F2 error code we did check the ohm meter and it seemed fine but we chose to just replace the sensor. Oven seemed to be fixed. We just tried to use oven and now it will not heat. You select temp and it beeps right away trying to say it reached temperature but it never even heated above room temperature. Please help. I’m a mom who is prettygood with electronics and can take just about any appliance apart. Don’t know if I just need to buy a new oven.

• Tasha // Aug 2, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Forgot to mention now there is no error code that flashes. You select the temp it beeps that it is there and then after 5-10 minutes it just shuts off.

• Gene // Aug 5, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Hello Tasha,

Thank you for your question.
    In order to provide most accurate advice I need the complete model number of the oven.

• Paula Albers // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:17 pm

I have a GE TrueTemp Oven, it came with the house so it is most likely 2002. While cooking, it gave me an F2 code and would not shut off at all. I had to flip the breaker just to shut down the oven. We replaced the temperature sensor. Used the over 3 times and it’s throwing the f2 code and running away again, had to flip the breaker to shut it down. Any suggestions?

• Gene // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Hello Paula,

Thank you for your question.

Sounds like the problem is a faulty control board.

If you need the correct part number, the complete model number of the oven might help.

• Seth // Sep 16, 2015 at 7:22 pm

My oven is also continuously flashing the F2 error, I will have to flip the breaker to get it to stop so I can sleep tonight… anyways my model number is J RP24GOP1BG

• Babs Wood // Sep 18, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Hi Gene,

I was about 1 1/2 hours into self-cleaning my oven when the F2 light came on with the beeping noise. I have a GE Profile Performance oven that is built into the cabinet. My husband is out of town and I cannot pull the oven out by myself. What should I do to stop the beeping? Thank you!!

• Gene // Sep 18, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Hello Seth,

Thank you for your question.

Most likely the ERC (electronic range control) has failed. Unfortunately GE has discontinued this part and it is no longer available. Sorry for such sad news but it is probably time for a new range.

• Gene // Sep 18, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Hello Babs Wood,

Just to stop the beeping the easiest way is to flip off the oven circuit breaker. It suppose to be in the house breaker box.
    If you’ll decide to fix it yourself, send me the complete model number of the oven.

• Steve // Sep 19, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Hi, Gene- Tried to clean upper oven & F2 code showed and beeping went on. I shut off power at fuze box. Beeping stopped and ERC panel is dark. Oven door is locked during autoclean, so I cannot get model# & other info. How do I open the door?

• Gene // Sep 24, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Hello Steve,

Try to power up the oven and cancel the clean cycle. It it would not work, email the picture of the oven to