AskGene.com

AskGene.com header image 2

Oven error code “F2” and how to fix it

March 26th, 2007 · 31 Comments

The error code “F2” will be displayed along with a beeping sound if the ERC (Electronic Range Control) or “clock” senses a runaway heat condition during the “cook” or the “clean” modes. It could be caused by the oven temperature sensor, by the ERC or by the wire harness between the oven temperature sensor and the ERC. If the error code “F2” is displayed in the “cook” or “clean” modes only, then the problem is a bad oven temperature sensor or its wire harness. If the error code “F2” is displayed in the time of the day mode also, then most likely a problem is the bad ERC. The access to the oven temperature sensor plug and the wires is from the back only. You have to pull the oven out of the wall (if it’s free standing) or remove it from the cabinet (if it’s built in). Disconnect the power and remove the rear cover. Check the resistance across the oven temperature sensor. It is supposed to be about 1100 Ohms at room temperature. If the resistance is incorrect, the oven temperature sensor is bad and needs to be replaced. If not, check all the wires from the oven temperature sensor to the ERC. If it is not the sensor and wires, you have to replace the ERC.
To get the right replacement part just click on the link AppliancePartsPros, then type the model number of your oven in the search box, click on the “search” button and in the new window type the word ”sensor” or the word “clock” in the “search by keyword” box and click the “search” button.

Tags: Oven error codes

31 responses so far ↓

• Karyn // Oct 5, 2009 at 1:06 am

Thank you so much.

• Paul // Nov 27, 2014 at 12:21 pm

On my ge double oven it was a simple fix. the temperature sensor is made at a slight angle. the one in my top oven was mounted to point slightly down.this oven works. the one in my bottom oven was put in angling slightly upward and close to the heating coils which was cause it to over heat and trip the code. I simply turned it over and oven now works fine.

• Kirsten Flumerfelt // Jun 2, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Can I still bake in the oven with this error flashing? I was in the middle of baking a cake!

• Gene // Jun 3, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Hello Kirsten.

I do not think you can do it because the oven functions should be disabled. The cause of the problem should diagnosed and fixed. The complete model number of the oven can help.

• Tasha // Aug 2, 2015 at 8:13 pm

GE wall oven F2 error

Any advice. We kept getting an F2 error code we did check the ohm meter and it seemed fine but we chose to just replace the sensor. Oven seemed to be fixed. We just tried to use oven and now it will not heat. You select temp and it beeps right away trying to say it reached temperature but it never even heated above room temperature. Please help. I’m a mom who is prettygood with electronics and can take just about any appliance apart. Don’t know if I just need to buy a new oven.

• Tasha // Aug 2, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Forgot to mention now there is no error code that flashes. You select the temp it beeps that it is there and then after 5-10 minutes it just shuts off.

• Gene // Aug 5, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Hello Tasha,

Thank you for your question.
    In order to provide most accurate advice I need the complete model number of the oven.

• Paula Albers // Sep 3, 2015 at 6:17 pm

I have a GE TrueTemp Oven, it came with the house so it is most likely 2002. While cooking, it gave me an F2 code and would not shut off at all. I had to flip the breaker just to shut down the oven. We replaced the temperature sensor. Used the over 3 times and it’s throwing the f2 code and running away again, had to flip the breaker to shut it down. Any suggestions?

• Gene // Sep 6, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Hello Paula,

Thank you for your question.

Sounds like the problem is a faulty control board.

If you need the correct part number, the complete model number of the oven might help.

• Seth // Sep 16, 2015 at 7:22 pm

My oven is also continuously flashing the F2 error, I will have to flip the breaker to get it to stop so I can sleep tonight… anyways my model number is J RP24GOP1BG

• Gene // Sep 18, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Hello Seth,

Thank you for your question.

Most likely the ERC (electronic range control) has failed. Unfortunately GE has discontinued this part and it is no longer available. Sorry for such sad news but it is probably time for a new range.

• Babs Wood // Sep 18, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Hi Gene,

I was about 1 1/2 hours into self-cleaning my oven when the F2 light came on with the beeping noise. I have a GE Profile Performance oven that is built into the cabinet. My husband is out of town and I cannot pull the oven out by myself. What should I do to stop the beeping? Thank you!!

• Gene // Sep 18, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Hello Babs Wood,

Just to stop the beeping the easiest way is to flip off the oven circuit breaker. It suppose to be in the house breaker box.
    If you’ll decide to fix it yourself, send me the complete model number of the oven.

• Steve // Sep 19, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Hi, Gene- Tried to clean upper oven & F2 code showed and beeping went on. I shut off power at fuze box. Beeping stopped and ERC panel is dark. Oven door is locked during autoclean, so I cannot get model# & other info. How do I open the door?

• Gene // Sep 24, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Hello Steve,

Try to power up the oven and cancel the clean cycle. It it would not work, email the picture of the oven to Gene@askgene.com

• candace // Dec 5, 2015 at 4:51 am

Our Frigidaire electric wall oven won’t turn on
    model #FEB386CESH
    Serial #NF11414767
    We had the oven on last night starting to cook something and it just beeped and turned off. The error display just says “off”. I am thinking it is the heat sensor but not sure.

• Gene // Dec 5, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Hello candace,

Thank you for your question.

Sounds like the oven is in lockout (child resistant lock) mode. Lockout can be set or cancelled by pressing the COOK TIME / BAKE TIME and STOP TIME pads at the same time.

Good luck.

• Ashley // Dec 7, 2015 at 7:48 am

Hi Gene,

I was hoping you would be able to help with my question from a week or so ago. Is it possible for a F2 code to fix itself? Again, haven’t received the error code since the end of October and we are now faced with sending the board off to be fixed or buying a new oven.

• Gene // Dec 11, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Hello Ashley,

Sorry for the delay.

Normally it is impossible for any error code to fix by itself. For more accurate advice I need the complete model number of the oven.

• Lisa // Dec 12, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Hi Gene,

F2 error code & beeping when GE Built-In Electric Oven is not in use. JTP11WS (and possibly a WG at the end). I can stop the beeping by pushing some buttons, but I’ve resorted to flipping the breaker off before leaving the apartment.

Is there any hope for a fix? It’s a built-in so replacing sounds difficult.

Thanks,
    Lisa

• Gene // Dec 13, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Hello Lisa,

The cause of the problem is most likely a faulty ERC (oven control board). Unfortunately this part has been discontinued and is no longer available. Looks like it’s a time for a new oven.
    In search for a new oven the most important for you besides the price is to match the width and height of the cabinet opening.

Good luck.

• Jayne Killackey // Dec 20, 2015 at 11:20 am

Hi Gene,
    I have a 22 year old XL44 GE gas range. The F2 error code beeps when the oven is not in use. The only way to stop the sound was to unplug it. I know to shut off breaker to check further, but I don’t know which panel to remove to look for part numbers, etc. The number shown on the paper wiring diagram attached to the back is 348A8003P005. Does that help at all? I’m guessing it’s time for a new range, given its age.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Jayne

• Gene // Dec 22, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Hello Jayne,

The correct model number is very important for correct troubleshooting. Depending on your range, the model and serial numbers can be found on a label on the front of the range, behind the kick panel or storage drawer.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• Jeff // Dec 24, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Hey Gene – Love your site. My Kenmore 326b1230p002 just ran into this problem and the top element won’t shut off unless I throw the breaker. I can’t find the control board listed on your link to Appliance Parts Pros. I’m thinking I’m SOL – any ideas? New oven time?

• Gene // Dec 27, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for your good words.

You probably can not find any information because the numbers you send are not the model number. Verify and resend it please.

Happy New Year!

• Stine // Dec 24, 2015 at 11:37 pm

can this f2 error catch oven on fire

• Gene // Dec 27, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Hello Stine,

Thank you for your questions.

Yes, in some circumstances it can. You should stop using the oven until it fixed.

Happy New Year!

• Jim // Dec 25, 2015 at 7:39 am

Hi Gene:
    The F2 error light flashes and beeps on my 28-yr old GE JTP45 oven after it has been cleaning for about an hour. After shutting down the power, I put the oven in bake mode at a temperature setting of 350, and the F2 error did not appear. In addition, the reading reached on the digital temperature display agreed with a thermometer I placed inside the oven. I then tried the clean mode again and, as before, the F2 error code appeared after about an hour. Help!

• Gene // Dec 27, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your question.

I found the technical bulletin issued by GE concerning this problem. It says:

“We have experienced nuisance service calls for an “F2” error code during the self-clean cycle with high altitude
    installations (5,000 ft or above) of Single & Double Wall Ovens built before June 2007. This case usually involves a cabinet that is completely enclosed on top, back, bottom and sides; thus restricting air flow to the cooling fan. Under these conditions, as the oven heats up, the temperatures in the component compartment elevate as well. With limited air flow, the thermal limiter (fan apparency switch) in the lock motor circuit may open. If the thermal limiter opens, the oven will shut off and the control will display an “F2″ error code.
    Suggested Troubleshooting:
    Check for the following:
    Stalled cooling fan
    Fan turning the wrong way (You should feel air flow moving towards the front of the range).
    Poor connection in the lock circuit between the lock motor and the ERC.
    Dust / blockage of the screen that covers the cooling fan.
    Make sure that the front cutout for the product is even with the cabinet floor that supports the range. If the cabinet floor is below the front cutout for the product, air flow will be restricted. Per the installation instructions, the front cutout for the product must even with the cabinet floor that supports the range.
    For a F2 Error Code, check the below as well:
    a.Pinched, cut or burned sensor wires
    b.Poor connections at the electronic range control (ERC)
    c.Poor connection between the sensor and the sensor harness
    d.Defective sensor
    If the above standard troubleshooting suggestions fail to fix the problem, the addition of a 12″ by 12″ hole (cut in the center of the cabinet floor under the product) may improve air flow in high altitude installations.”

Happy New Year!

• Ahmed // Dec 27, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Hi, I have Ge electric stove and I am having a F3 and F2 problem that just started. F3 has been an issue for 2 weeks where it won’t let me go above 350 degrees and f2 just started since I used the broiler.

Thanks

• Gene // Dec 27, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Hello Ahmed,

Thank you for your question.
    In order to provide most accurate advice I need the complete model number of the stove.

Happy New Year!