AskGene.com

AskGene.com header image 2

GE oven error code “F7” and how to fix it

June 23rd, 2007 · 21 Comments

One of the most common problems with GE electric built in ovens is the error code “F7” shown on the display. I’ve seen it many times before and today I had a service call for the same problem again. The error code “F7” will be displayed along with a beeping sound if the ERC (Electronic Range Control) or “clock” senses one or more buttons on the control panel stuck. It could be displayed in any mode: “cook”, “clean” or even more often in the “time of the day” mode. In order to fix it, the control panel has to be replaced. This is a very simple job and you will need just a 1/4″ nut driver and a Phillips screwdriver.
To get the right replacement part just click on the link AppliancePartsPros then type the model number of your oven (it is located at the bottom left corner on the door frame of the lower oven) in the search box, click on the “search” button and in the new window type the word ”control panel”  in the “search by keyword” box and click the “search” button.
Always turn off the circuit breaker first.
Open the oven door (if you have a double oven, it should be the upper one) and remove three screws (on some models just two on corners) from the bottom of the control panel. If the control panel on your oven is made of stainless steel, then you have to pull the oven out of the cabinet for about 2″ to 3″ to get better access. Pull the control panel forward and up to remove the tabs on the top of the frame, out of the holes in the end caps. Pull the control panel out and turn it about 90° toward yourself (the face of the control panel down). Unplug the control panel ribbon from the ERC. Remove four screws holding the ERC to the control panel. On some models you also have to remove the screw which attaches the ground wire to the control panel. Let the ERC hang on its wires, remove the old control panel and replace it with the new one. On some models before you do it, you have to remove the end caps and the bottom shield from the old control panel and install them on the new one. Do not forget to plug the new control panel ribbon into the ERS slot. Attach the new control panel to the oven and turn the circuit breaker on. Set the time of the day and you are back in business.

Tags: Oven error codes

21 responses so far ↓

• Andrew Smith // May 12, 2009 at 3:03 am

Your repair instructions for Fault code F7 on our GE oven were perfect. The Appliance Parts Pros shipped with no problems. The directions for replacing the control panel were to the ‘Tee’. Thanks for having this website, I’ll tell everyone I know how helpful it was for me.

• Gene // May 12, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Hello Andrew,

I’m glad you were able to fix it.
    Thank you for stopping by.

Gene.

• Michael Frattaroli // Nov 22, 2014 at 3:53 am

I was able to fix mine by removing the ribbon cable, cleaning with alcohol and reinserting it. Also don’t forget there are tabs on each side of the ribbon cable socket that must be lifted out prior to removal and reinsertion.

• Fix Ge Profile Error Code F7 Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 [Solved] // Nov 24, 2014 at 5:09 am

[…] GE oven error code “F7″ and how to fix it | AskGene.com – Your repair instructions for Fault code F7 on our GE oven were perfect. The Appliance Parts Pros shipped with no problems. The directions for replacing the control …… […]

• Indie Smith // Jan 1, 2015 at 9:56 am

We have a GE Spectra Oven – GAS – we keep getting F7 error codes and the oven will not heat. We have now replaced control panel and still no heat. What could the problem be. Thanks for your help.

• Gene // Jan 1, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Hello Indie,

Thank you for your question.

In order to provide most accurate advice I need the complete model number of the oven.

Gene.

• parm // Jan 17, 2015 at 1:31 am

In my case it was the keypad. The number “3” on the keypad was stuck and hence “f7” error code. I gently pried the two sandwiched membrane layers of the key pad just close to the number “3”. That’s it . I got the key unstuck and the whole thing works awesome.

• Leslie // Apr 4, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for sharing, I’m going to try and fix it right now!!

• Lee Armstrong // May 14, 2015 at 4:19 pm

I changed out the control panel and now no code but it clicks and the clock flashes also nothing is working on it

• Gene // May 16, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Hello Lee.

Make sure the control panel ribbon cable is plugged into the control board slot tight and firm.

Gene.

• ethan // Dec 1, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Replaced the erc, issue is still here. Any other fixes?

• Gene // Dec 6, 2015 at 6:58 pm

Hello ethan,

What was the original problem?
    What is the complete model number of the unit?
    What is the part number of the new ERC?

Gene.

• Ryan Bailey // Dec 12, 2015 at 11:53 am

Replaced ERC on GE Profile oven model: JGB900SEF1SS

Everything seemed to work like a champ for about an hour, then “F7 EA” code showed up and was beeping. So frustrated now as I thought this brand new part would fix the problem. I’m going to look into disassembling the keypad, but I’m not sure if that is what I should be looking into. I’m wondering if I got a bad part for some reason, or if that was even the issue to begin with. Any thoughts? Advice?

• Gene // Dec 12, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Hello Ryan,

Thank you for your question.

The normal correction for F7 failure (error) code is to replace the keypad/membrane assembly. Unfortunately the new part for this model is no longer available.
    Such problem usually has nothing to do with ERC and replacing this part would not fix it.
    You can try to clean the end of the ribbon cable with rubbing alcohol. Some time it works. Otherwise it’s probably time for a new range.

Sorry for a sad news.

Gene.

• miguel // Dec 14, 2015 at 9:43 am

Have a Ge model JGB916sek1ss F7 Error cleaning ribbon with alchol only work for few hours. Is there a replacement board available. Could it be the ribbon that is damaged sice it has a black mark on it if so does that come with new control board?

• Gene // Dec 14, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Hello Miguel,

Thank you for your question.

Looks like the control panel/membrane assembly would need to be replaced.

The part number for the assembly is wb36k10588

You can order the part by clicking on the part number above.

Good luck.

Gene.

• Lynn // Dec 24, 2015 at 9:35 am

this oven control panel has been replaced twice by appliance repairman and once by me as per your advice but it is showing it again. Any advice?

• Gene // Dec 27, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Hello Lynn,

I need more detailed information from you. What is the part number of the control panel which has been replaced? What is the model number of the oven? When it was repaired first, second and third times?

Thank you.

Happy New Year!

Gene.

• Tracey // Dec 25, 2015 at 7:32 am

Merry Christmas Gene, I followed your directions to change the panel, I pushed & held bake to try it out and got a 5f notification 🙁 did I do something wrong??

• Gene // Dec 27, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Hello Tracey,

I hope your Christmas was merry.

One question: why did you push and hold the bake button? Holding the button probably caused this notification.

Gene.

• JayT // Dec 25, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Thank you for the described fix, it worked perfectly and now my home no longer sounds like a fire alarm testing unit.

My F7 error code was for the plastic touchpad face type with 3 screws to hold it up. After following the directions outlined, all is back to normal.